Monday, November 19, 2007

My Thanksgiving Menu


Suddenly, as if out of nowhere, everything is wintry and warm and cozy, and I love it. My friend Natalie has a theory about this. As rainy and sludgy as it is here in Seattle during these fall and winter months, she says Seattleites sort of let out a big sigh of relief when the weather gets miserable. Sure, we complain about it -- the mud puddles, gray skies, endless drizzle -- but here's her theory: We secretly love it. Finally, we can forgo high fashion for comfy sweaters, cozy up to seasonal ale, and just take it slow, even blow off our social calendars for a few months. I think she's summed up half the people in this city, me included. I am happiest, I think, when the weather is stormy, rainy, and generally overcast. But remind me this in March, OK?

That brings me to Thanksgiving. How are you spending the pre-T-day week? If you're hosting, as I am, you're likely scurrying, cleaning, planning, shopping, and prepping. That describes my week, except I'm doing that with a few writing deadlines and a certain someone saying "ga-ga, ba-ba" in my ear.

I'll be preparing a meal for 12 this year, and I plan to do a very traditional dinner -- but with a few twists just for fun:

Roast Turkey With Pomegranate Glaze
Onion Gravy
Rosemary Sage Cornbread Dressing
Petite Green Beans With Shallots and Toasted Almonds
Black and Green Olives (olives are a staple, my husband tells me, in his family's Thanksgiving dinners)
Assorted Roasted Squash, With Herbed Brown Butter
Spicy Roasted Brussels Sprouts (with Kimchi!)
Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
Gingered Carrots
Cranberry-Orange Sauce
Dinner Rolls
Green Salad
Pumpkin Pie

So, we have a bit of time before the big day, so please tell me what your star side dish is! I have a feeling this menu will be tweaked a bit before Thursday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous! I wish I was going to be at your table for Thanksgiving! Your menu is fabulous! And about the cloudy rainy weather...I agree. I look forward to a cold and stormy day and a hot beverage!

Anonymous said...

Your menu looks delicious! I wish I could dine at your house too! And oddly enough, olives are a staple at Greg's family's holiday meals.

Katie said...

You are a Goddess. Menu sounds fab. I am a slacker and since Eric works I will be in the pool at The Westin and Eric will join us there for dinner and then we will be livin' the suite life since my client is fab and sooo good to me. While it's not traditional it makes me pine less for family and enjoy the day with my little ones. The dough is rising as we speak on the caramel pecan rolls so those should be yummy in the a.m. and the girls and I can enjoy something homemade in front of the fire and Macy's parade! Happy Tgiving, Sar! k

Sarah said...

Caramel pecan rolls? Katie, those sound divine! Please post the recipe on your blog one day! And, the Westin sounds lovely. Did you all have a good time? I bet!

Mimi, I love that you guys do olives too. We went through three containers during our dinner!