Thursday, November 01, 2007

The thing about baking soda

I have a love-hate relationship with Arm & Hammer. On one hand, baking soda is essential. Where would my cookies and cakes be without it? But I have a bone to pick with recipes that call for copious amounts of the stuff, rendering each bite of cake, muffin, cookie -- you name it -- tasting of aluminum.

The last two things I've made, pumpkin spice bread and chocolate chip cookies (yep, I finally made the Deceptively Delicious recipe for chocolate chip-chickpea cookies), both had this over-the-top metallic baking soda taste. Gross, I know.

So all of you baking experts out there: Can you cut back on the amount of baking soda in a recipe and be alright? Or maybe there's a baking soda brand that doesn't taste like, well, baking soda?

Advice? I think I'll email Dorie Greenspan.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Hi Sarah,
I'm no expert, but try using just 1 teaspoon of baking soda for every 4 cups of batter (despite what the recipe says). This might help. Also, I love the book Cookwise (you can find it on Amazon). It talks all about the chemistry of cooking. A great read!

-Dawn