Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Jazz apples and Cara Cara oranges


How can I put this delicately? Life with a toddler can get, well, kind of bland sometimes. 


You know the drill: Same old routine, same old grocery store shopping list (bread, whole milk, baby food, cereal, repeat). So, for me, nothing cures the blahs better than a day out with a friend, a challenging writing assignment, a new adventure with my little guy (he's into looking at flowers this week, so off to the park we go), or a few great new discoveries at the market.

Today, during a quick trip to the green market for dinner and a few staples, two things caught my eye in the produce aisle. I recalled one of my editors telling me about Cara Cara oranges -- a sweet juicy orange variety that a lot of people are buzzing about right now. So, I bagged some up. 

And then, among the bins of everyday apples, I came across organic "Jazz apples." These small, almost baby-sized, are supposed to be extra tart and crunchy with a tangy, lemony sweetness. I could almost hear Stan Getz playing somewhere as I picked out a few; I couldn't help but let my mind wander the direction of an apple tart, or maybe a simple crisp (which I've been craving ever since I saw Ina Garten make one on the Food Network recently). 

So, there you have it: The cure for my day of toddler blahs: apples and oranges. Oh, and an apricot croissant. That helped, too.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

We absolutely love Cara Cara oranges, Sarah. I'll have to try the Jazz apples next. I'm usually partial to Fuji, but maybe it's time to branch out!

Cakespy said...

Ooh, way to slip in the apricot croissant (don't think I missed that!). And I am partial to the Jazz apples--I think I tried one by accident for the first time when reaching for a Pink Lady...but was rewarded! Must try those oranges now...